How The Government Shutdown Affects Taxpayers and Tax Practitioners.
October 8, 2013 by Stephanie Potash
A lot of confusion surrounds the government shutdown and hopefully there will be a solution to end this shutdown soon.
Here is a quick breakdown of how the government shutdown affects taxpayers and tax practitioners.
What remains open?
- IRS for processing of tax returns
- Preparations of next year’s tax forms
- IRS website (irs.gov)
- IRS Office of Chief Counsel
- Federal courts to stay open for 10 days then reassess
- Social Security checks processed
- US Postal Service
What is closed?
- IRS taxpayer services
- IRS audits and examinations
- IRS to not process paper returns without remittances
- IRS headquarters and administration
- No new contracts or purchase orders by the IRS
- Office of Professional Responsibility
- IRS Employees furloughed